Mosso are certainly not intent on letting Amazon have everything their own way, posting on their blog, Top 10 Reasons why Cloud Files + Limelight offers a better experience than S3 + CloudFront.
Competition is a great leveler and fuels innovation so I am glad to Mosso taking the lead here. The reasons that they give are reproduced below – I’d be interested in the thoughts of S3 / Cloudfront users as to whether these would make them consider moving across or what they think in general:
1. World-class technical support is only one click away.
Live support, with real humans based right here in our offices, is available 24/7. And they are really, really good!
2. World-class technical support is free.
Yes, free. As in you don’t pay for it. And it is really, really good support!
3. You can get started in as little as one minute.
Not a programmer? Not a problem! You do not have to know how to code to use Cloud Files + CDN! Our simple web-based interface makes it a snap to share your content!
4. Limelight is a tier one CDN provider.
Really, Limelight is VERY cool, and one of the foremost CDN provider’s in the industry. That’s why we chose to partner with them!
5. No API is required to share files.
Did we mention this already? If so, it is worth mentioning again!
6. Language-specific APIs are available, if you need them.
Not everyone knows ReST and SOAP, so we’ve created and provide support for the following language APIs – PHP, Python, Java and .NET. We do this to allow you to work in the language you feel most comfortable with.
7. Pricing for data transfer does not vary depending on edge locations.
Data transfer starts at $0.22/GB, no matter what edge location is used to share your content. This should make it easier on you when you are trying to estimate your monthly bill.
8. There are no per requests fees for CDN.
Just another way we simplify your life, and your billing.
9. There is no limit to the number of CDN-enabled containers you can create.
As far as we can tell, you can only have up to 100 distributions in Amazon’s Cloud Front system. At Mosso, we try to keep these types of arbitrary limitations to a bare minimum, not just for Cloud Files, but for all of the services we offer.
10. The Cloud Files GUI is easy to use and navigate.
Our browser based GUI let’s you easily upload a file and share it on CDN without writing a single line of code. Heck, you don’t even need to know a programmer to share content via Cloud Files!